In 2013, starting with a Vestry symposium, we started the process of refining our Mission Statement. The previous statement was long-winded and irrelevant. We looked at what was important to us as a Parish. After deliberation, we came up with our new Mission Statement. It is printed on our leaflets for every Mass, and the Vestry recites this statement before every meeting. It is a guidepost to our behaviors and actions as parish members...
Building relationships with God, community and one another through faith and fellowship.
On the brink of a Civil War, a small group of Christians living in the rural hills of Philadelphia County came together to form a community of believers. In 1859, these believers purchased land with the intentions of building a small, country parish. New York architect Emlen T. Littell drafted the plans (at times sending them from the battlefield) and the church building was erected in 1862. Although now expanded and modernized with air conditioning our sanctuary still reflects the Gothic and Victorian beauty of its original design. In fact, we are the only public building in Philadelphia to continue to have functioning gaslights indoors which are lit for Christmas Eve and other special occasions.
From the beginning, the sacramental emphasis of the Oxford Movement have guided the parish. The rich sacramental aspect of worship provides a focus through which we experience the presence of God in their midst. God, however, does not solely exist inside the walls of a beautiful sanctuary. Indeed, that presence extends into the community and this belief has helped St. Timothy's shape a firm sense of commitment to ministry in our neighbourhood and beyond which led to the founding of Roxborough Memorial Hospital and to the now defunct Saint Timothy's Workingman's Club.
In recent decades, our sense of mission has extended well beyond the confines of our parish walls. Ministries to the poor and needy in Philadelphia, in Appalachia, and across the world are vital expressions of our mission and identity.
In 2009 We celebrated our 150th anniversary and look forward to wherever God may lead us in the years ahead.